The ideal window choice
It is advisable to renovate homes and buildings yearly to make sure that everything remains in optimal condition. If you are contemplating upon replacing your windows, there are many decisions that you will have to make. One of them is the glazing the window should have. Two main options are available in this regard which includes the double pane and the triple pane windows.
There is a lot more to know about these two types apart from the number of panes that they have. If you are confused between the two choices, you should endeavor to find out what each has to offer. This will make sure that you make the right selection and do not regret it later. We are going to provide you with the core differences between the two which will enable you to determine what is suitable for your home.
Before proceeding to window panes, there are some things that you need to keep in mind. The efficiency of the window is affected by quite a few factors related to the glass used. This includes the number of panes of the glass, the coatings on it, its thickness, the material separating the glass and the frame which holds the glass in place among other things.
What works in favor of double pane windows?
- Double pane windows are capable of reflecting as much as 90% of the energy off. Thus, around 90% of the sun heat tends to remain out while in the colder days, you will not have to worry about the furnace heat finding its way out via windows.
- Budget is among the major concerns that people have when it comes to window renovations. While they want to make sure that they get the best of everything, they want to ensure that their budget does not hit the roof. Double pane windows are relatively less costly. Therefore, if you want to acquire a noticeable difference in the performance of your windows but do not want to pay a lot for the same, double pane windows would be just the thing that you need.
- Since they are light in weight, they can be lifted easily, and thus installation is not that difficult. However, it is advisable to use a professional installer/contractor to ensure the proper results.
What do triple pane windows have to offer?
- Triple pane windows comprise of two chambers which can be filled with gas. Thus, they provide high energy efficient performance. These windows have decreased potential condensation capacity since the interior glass surface has a warm temperature, leading to improved humidity levels. Since triple pane windows have an additional pane of glass, an extra layer of Low-E can also be added for improved efficiency.
- These windows provide better soundproofing feature. They are equipped with an extra glass pane which ensures that sound transmission is prevented to a large extent. An insulating glass unit can also be added between the glazings if you want to make sure that the outside noise pollution does not find its way into the house.
- Triple pane windows are capable of providing optimal home comfort. These windows offer a cozy environment as they reduce the convection currents.
- These windows are quite heavy and need the support of strong and durable frame material. This also makes sure that these windows last for a long time and you will not have to worry about them incurring damage within a short span.
Double pane windows vs. Triple pane windows: the core differences
Now that you are well aware of what features the two types of windows have to offer let us elaborate on the core differences that are found between the two.
· Temperature maintenance and home comfort
In comparison, triple pane windows tend to be consistent in maintaining the inside air temperature as compared to double pane windows. Furthermore, they also limit the condensation on the windows. With double pane windows, the interior air temperature tends to vary.
As far as price is concerned, double pane windows have an edge. They are less expensive, and thus most people who are worried about budget tend to opt for this option. Installation of these windows is also relatively cheap since they do not require a sturdy frame for support.
In contrast, triple pane windows are expensive and quite heavy as well, thereby requiring proper handling. Thus, you will have to be rather cautious about who you hire for the installation of these windows. Ensure that professionals are brought on the job so that your money is not wasted.
Triple pane windows are found to be more durable as compared to the double pane windows. This is because they have a robust framework and also more glass weight. Thus, these windows are more capable of standing the test of time. Double pane windows, due to their light weight tend to get damaged quicker with time.
· The entrance of heat and light and soundproofing
Triple pane windows are more efficient in the filtering of UV rays as compared to double pane windows. They also have better thermal insulation.
In the triple pane windows where low emissive glass is used, the movement of heat from outside to inside and vice versa is inhibited to a large extent.
Triple pane windows are slightly better in providing a quieter environment instead of the double pane windows.
Thus, in the end, the final selection depends on what you need. In the case of any home renovation, quite a few expenses need to be taken care of. If you want to choose the window option that is effective, affordable and easier to install, double glass pane windows will do the trick. However, if you want optimal performance and long-lasting results, you will find triple pane windows to be a better choice. Both have ample features to offer and your choice depends on the features that you value more.